#12 'Hula Girl' by Sol Hoopii (1934)

SONG


"It's a jolly enough song. True to the title, it does sound very hula but it also (unsurprisingly) sounds very dated. It makes me think of an old Mickey Mouse cartoon, or perhaps Tom & Jerry with Jerry dancing in a hula skirt. In any case, it's a nice change from all the depressing songs but it's not a song I would choose to listen to." - LC


November edit: "Having returned to listen to this song again in order to write my review, I feel I was unnecessarily harsh on it. The guitar is excellent and it's a lot more original than some of the later entries. This song is a bit of fun and, in actual fact, I probably would listen to it again." - LC


Written by: Sunny Cunha.
Label: Brunswick.


FACTS

  • Hawaiian music is characterised by slack-key guitar playing. This involves playing your guitar in open tuning on your lap and sliding a steel instrument over the strings.
  • Sol Hoopii was the greatest slack-key guitar player of the 1920s and 1930s. 
Recommended songs by this artist...

I Like You (1930s)

No comments:

Post a Comment