#5 'Pokarekare' by Ana Hato (with Deane Waretini) (1929)

SONG


"I'm not a fan of this lady's singing. Not at all. I think if the male voice was singing solo then this song may be palatable. It's not for me." - LC


Written by: Traditional, arranged by Paraire Tomoana.
Label: Parlophone.


FACTS

  • This is a Maori love song. It is a traditional song which has been arranged by Paraire Tomoana.
  • Tomoana had heard it sung by Maori troops stationed in Auckland on their way to combat in WWI.
  • Ana Hato and Deane Waretini were cousins and frequently collaborated on songs. 

Translation

My heart is aching, for your return my love.
Oh my beloved, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.


I have written you a letter, and enclosed with it my ring,
If your people should see it, then the trouble will begin.
Oh my beloved, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.
My poor pen is broken, my paper is spent,
But my love for you endures, and remains forever more.

Oh my beloved, come back to me, my heart is breaking for of love for you.
The sun's hot sheen, won't scorch my love,
Being kept evergreen, by the falling of my tears.
Oh girl, Come back to me, I could die of love for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment