#9 'Need a Little Sugar in My Bowl' by Bessie Smith (1931)

SONG


"The first thing that struck me about this song was how heavily laden with innuendo it is. Initially I thought perhaps my modern day mind was just so used sexual references in music today but they just kept on coming. The lyrics below might be of interest. It's a good song though, nice to know that some women were outspoken and liberal at a time when the majority just sat quiet and looked pretty." - LC


Written by: Clarence Williams, J.T. Brymn, Dally Small.
Producer: Frank Walker.
Label: Columbia.


FACTS

  • This song is an example of the under-the-counter sub-genre known as dirty-blues. 
  • Dirty-blues also gave the world the euphemism 'rock and roll', which later resurfaced as the illegitimate child of the blues.

LYRICS

Tired of bein' lonely, tired of bein' blue,
I wished I had some good man, to tell my troubles to.
Seem like the whole world's wrong,
Since my man's been gone.
I need a little sugar in my bowl.
I need a little hot dog on my roll.
I can stand a bit of lovin', oh so bad.
I feel so funny, I feel so sad.

I need a little steam-heat on my floor,
Maybe I can fix things up, so they'll go.
What's the matter, hard papa?
Come on and save you mama's soul
'Cause I need a little sugar, in my bowl, doggone it,
I need some sugar in my bowl.
I need a little sugar in my bowl.
I need a little hot dog between my rolls.
You gettin' different, I've been told,
Move your finger, drop something in my bowl.
I need a little steam-heat on my floor,
Maybe I can fix things up, so they'll go
Get off your knees, I can't see what you're drivin' at!
It's dark down there! It looks like a snake!
C'mon here and drop somethin' here in my bowl,
Stop your foolin', and drop somethin' in my bowl.

Recommended songs by this artist...

#2 St Louis Blues (1925)

No comments:

Post a Comment