#22 'Guantanamera' by Joseíto Fernández (1941)

SONG



"This one is very pleasant. I do get the urge to sing # Feeling hot, hot, hot! # at certain points though, haha. Glad I've found this one though. Definitely one of the better tracks I have come across so far" - LC


Written by: Joseito Fernandez
Producer: Uncredited
Label: RCA Victor


FACTS

  • Joseíto Fernández composed the song in 1928, basing the words on a poem by celebrated Cuban nationalist José Martí.
  • It is perhaps the best known Cuban song and the country's most noted patriotic song.
  • Cover versions of the song (as usual I will only cite artists that mean something to me as there are LOADS) include those by: Pitbull, Fugees, Wyclef Jean, The Mavericks, Los Lobos, and Pete Seeger. 


Translation

I am a truthful man
From where the palm tree grows
And before dying I want
To let out the verses of my soul


My verse is light green
And it is flaming red
My verse is a wounded stag
Who seeks refuge on the mountain


I grow a white rose
In July just as in January
For the honest friend
Who gives me his open hand


With the poor people of the earth
I want to cast my lot
The brook of the mountains
Gives me more pleasure than the sea.

No comments:

Post a Comment