#30 'La vie en rose' by Edith Piaf (1946)

SONG


"This one is quite pleasant listening. Reminds me of classic Hollywood movies and the glamour of the 1940s. I bet I'll find myself humming the melody for the rest of the day." - LC




Written by: Edith Piaf and Louiguy.
Producer: Uncredited.
Label: EMI.




FACTS


  • "La Vie en Rose" translates literally as Life in Pink, but a better translation of the title would be 'Life Through Rose-tinted Glasses'.
  • Initially, Piaf's peers and her songwriting team did not think the song would be successful, but it became a favorite with audiences.
  • An English version of the lyrics was written later by Mack David. 
  • Owing to its popularity, the song appeared on most of Piaf's subsequent albums. 
  • A 1998 documentary about Édith Piaf was called La Vie En Rose, as was the 2007 biographical feature film La Vie En Rose, which won Marion Cotillard an Academy Award for Best Actress for portraying Piaf in the film from the age of 19 until her death at 47.
  • The song received a Grammy Hall of Fame Award in 1998.
  • Artists who have covered this song include: Aretha Frankin, Audrey Hepburn, BB King, Belinda Carlisle, Bette Midler, Bing Crosby, Celine Dion, Cyndi Lauper (whom I am transforming into this Halloween), Dean Martin, Jack Nicholson, La Toya Jackson, Liza Minnelli, Louis Armstrong, Luciano Pavarotti, Marlene Dietrich, Michael Buble, Petula Clark and Shirley Bassey, to name but a few.

Translation
Life in Pink

Eyes that gaze into mine,
A smile that is lost on his lips—
That is the unretouched portrait
Of the man to whom I belong.

When he takes me in his arms
And speaks softly to me,
I see life in rosy hues.
He tells me words of love,
Words of every day,
And in them I become something.
He has entered my heart,
A part of happiness
Whereof I understand the reason.
It’s he for me and I for him, throughout life,
He has told me, he has sworn to me, for life.
And from the things that I sense,
Now I can feel within me
My heart that beats.

In endless nights of love,
A great delight that comes about,
The pains and bothers are banished,
Happy, happy to die of love.

When he takes me in his arms
And speaks softly to me,
I see life in rosy hues.
He tells me words of love,
Words of every day,
And in them I become something.
He has entered my heart,
A part of happiness
Whereof I understand the reason.
It’s he for me and I for him, throughout life,
He has told me, he has sworn to me, for life.
And from the things that I sense,
Now I can feel within me
My heart that beats.


Recommended songs by this artist...

#122 Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien (1960)
Les Amants de Paris (1948)

No comments:

Post a Comment