#29 'Al gurugu' by La Nina de los Peines (1946)

SONG



"Definitely not my cup of tea. I love flamenco guitar but the singing grated me. I stuck it out though, just for my blog. Pretty sure, unless I'm held at gunpoint, I will not be listening to this one again." - LC




Written by: Uncredited.
Producer: Uncredited.
Label: La Voz de su Amo (HMV - yes, the actual His Master's Voice, so I'm guessing that the Spanish translates to 'The voice of his master' but feel free to correct me).


FACTS

  • Pastora Maria Pavon Cruz, who was born in 1890 to a poor gypsy family in Seville, became the first major flamenco star of the twentieth century. 
  • Today she is widely regarded as the greatest female flamenco singer ever (oops... I'm clearly in a minority then).
  • Nicknamed "La Nina de los Peines" (the girl with the combs), she began singing as a child to help support her family.
  • At a young age, she began touring Spain and her first recordings were made in 1910.
  • She married the great flamenco singer Pepe Pinto; fleeing the Spanish Civil War for Argentina, they returned in the 1940s to Spain, where she continued her career.
  • The song's title is nonsense. 
I couldn't find the lyrics and, therefore, couldn't do a translation. If anyone can help with this comment or PM me :)

2 comments:

  1. Don't know if it makes any difference after all this time, but I've found the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't know if it makes any difference after all this time, but I've found the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete