#25 'Rum and Coca-Cola' by Lord Invader (1943)

SONG



"Well this song makes me want to wiggle. The lyrics could be considered offensive... but luckily I'm not an American ;) I do love me a bit of calypso though. Definitely one of my favourites so far. ...and I'd actually love a rum and coke right about now!" - LC


Written by: Rupert W. Grant and Lionel Belasco.
Producer: Uncredited.
Label: Decca

FACTS

  • During WWII, around 20,000 American GIs were stationed in Trinidad. A local musician took objection to this and, using the stage name Lord Invader, commented on it in this calypso.
  • The song takes its title from the servicemen's drink of choice and is a metaphor for the mixture of the two cultures. The song itself comments on the prostitution that took place during this time, "Both mother and daughter/working for the yankee dollar."
  • Although the song was originally composed by Grant and Belasco, it was copyrighted in the USA by Morey Amsterdam and became a hit for The Andrew Sisters in 1945.
  • In an ensuing court case, it was found that Amsterdam had indeed infringed copyright and Lord Invader won an undisclosed sum in compensation.

No comments:

Post a Comment