#26 'This Land Is Your Land' by Woody Guthrie (1944)

SONG

" # This hand is your hand, this hand is my hand... no wait it's your hand, no wait it's my hand...# This song reminds me of the episode of Friends where Joey finds his 'hand twin'. This song is just pure happy but I'm not sure I agree with the lyric "This land was made for you and me."... moving on... an easy listen but not sure it'd make a list of my favourite tracks of all time." - LC


Written by: Woody Guthrie
Producer: Moe Asch
Label: Folkways


FACTS

  • This is one of the USA's most famous folk songs.
  • Guthrie wrote the lyrics in 1940 as a response Irving Berlin's "God Bless America", which he considered unrealistic. The song, however, was not recorded until 1944.
  • It has been covered by artists such as Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews and Counting Crows.
  • Tom Morello (who sent me a private message during 2009's Xmas number 1 campaign... we won!!) performed the song on 13th October 2011, in Zucotti Park, NYC as part of the Occupy Wall Street movement.
  • Other countries have adapted the song to create their own versions, these include: Canada, Ireland, Sweden, Wales, Belgium, Bahamas, Namibia, Israel, and Billy Bragg has used a version with UK specific lyrics during his live performances.
  • In the 1994 Home Improvement episode "Too Many Cooks" Tim refers to Al as "Al 'This Land Is' Borland"
  • In a 1999 episode of Friends, Joey (as I already mentioned) sings a parody of the song inspired by finding his 'hand twin'.
  • The Simpsons' episode "Lisa the Treehugger" (2000) with the words changed to "This log is my log, this log is your log." in reference to a runaway giant redwood tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment